When faced with adversity sometimes the easiest option is to quit. Screw the fight and take the flight. Unfortunately, taking this route every time will only lead you miles away from where you want and perhaps ought to be. Even in times when we want to throw in the towel there is often something that keeps us going. That some "thing" is different for everyone. When I am at the peak of a grueling workout and just want to back off or quit, if it's not a trainer encouraging me to keep going it is likely the voice inside of my head saying "one more rep" or "one more minute". I happen to teach many activity classes here at MSU and if you ever walk by the weight room or the gym during one of my weight training classes or general conditioning classes you are likely to hear me yelling "You can do this...don't let yourself quit." I say these things not because I am sure that it will help everyone succeed but because I know that sometimes people lose confidence in their abilities and sell themselves short. I am there to stop them from fleeing and to help them put up a good fight. During stressful work days, sometimes we think... am I ever going to make it through the day? Most often, the answer is yes. Somehow you get through it.
But what about those times when the fight is more like a war and it seems as though nothing will pull you through.
What then?
No amount of encouragement or support seem to make things any easier and nothing you can say to yourself helps you to see the light.
What then?
This is a difficult question to answer but one I think I've gained a little more clarity on in the past year.
The answer is: faith.
Usually the first thing people think about when they hear "faith" is "religion". While used interchangeably, faith and religion are two different things. I have been raised catholic and believe that it has played a role in who I am today but I hold no judgements towards other religions or other viewpoints on the issue. Although I respect my religion and the message of the church, I found myself questioning things more and more as I got older (as we all do). As the number 1 reason the world is at war, I began to question and almost resent religion. Why do people have SUCH strong beliefs- so strong that they dispute any other possibility or explanation? Why is it SUCH a big deal??? I will admit that I became a holiday catholic....one that goes on christmas and easter and for any religious sacraments. I just didn't think I "got it" anymore- the point of it all but I didn't want to give up all together. It wasn't until my grandfather passed away in November of last year that I finally "got it"... and it was crystal clear.
People don't rely on their religion to get them through tough times, they rely on their faith in whatever religious power they choose to believe in. Having faith that there is something bigger than we are- even if we don't fully understand it- can be enough to get us through the deepest tragedies and pain. My grandfather passing away was like losing a piece of me that I would never get back and that left a hole that I didn't know how I would ever fill. I didn't know what to do, what to think, how to act. Nothing made me feel better. Nothing. It wasn't until the day of his funeral when the Priest was giving the eulogy when I looked around at all my family in such pain looking and listening to the priest as if he knew a secret that we all desperately wanted to know. As people nodded their heads and held each other's hands it became clear to me that our faith in the idea that he was still with us but in a better, more peaceful place, was the only thing getting us through this. Later at the burial, the priest removed a small statue of a saint that was part of the coffin and handed it to my grandmother. As she kissed the statue and held it close to her it was clear that her faith was her strength...and it continues to be. I not only learned through observing others, but I truly felt it- "it" being the overwhelming sense of comfort and peace brought to people when they rely on their faith to guide them.
No matter what the situation is, if you don't have faith in something you will likely succumb to anything. I don't believe there is a right religion or a wrong religion and I don't believe you need to have religion...you just gotta have faith.
Well said, my friend. I know the feeling all too well, and after we lost my cousin Laura last year, it first seemed unfair to her... the family... I resented the person or thing that had to end her life so soon and tragically. I later came to realize that she fought a battle of addiction every day of her life and it was not a life to be loved or enjoyed. I know now she is indeed a healthy, cured person, though she is not with us. Oddly enough, it was the words of a pastor I didn't even know and had met for the first time 10 minutes before he spoke that moved my mindspace to where it is now. Wierd how those God-types just always have the right words... you'd think they were trained in that or something...
ReplyDeleteAnyway, it ultimately makes you want push yourself in all aspects of your life, because you can. I feel like I'm obligated in a way (to me and her) to do things she never could, and in essence extend her legacy... makes you really count your blessings.
Love & Miss you, Jen!