"Go to your Happy Place" just one of the many classic quotes from the classic film Happy Gilmour which happened to be on t.v the other day. After I stopped laughing, I got to thinking- what's my "happy place?" Unfortunately, I kept coming back to a visual of a perfectly toned and tanned version of myself on a beach somewhere incredible. Happy place- absolutely! Realistic- well I used the word "perfectly" in there so clearly NO! An easily accessible happy place? Not so much. I thought, how can your happy place be somewhere you can't even get to? I started to try to think closer to home. My boyfriends cottage- a blissful haven. That too is a happy place. But again, not somewhere I can access whenever I want. Damn. Strike 2. My third happy place- again closer to home, would be my bed because I love sleep and don't get much, but if I were to retreat to that as my happy place every time I needed a break from things I may never emerge from it. Well, strike 3.
I then realized that my only option would be to understand exactly WHAT makes these places my "happy place" and try to recreate those elements when I need to get away.
1. No time contraints.
2. Nowhere to be.
3. No work to do.
4. Minimal thinking.
5. Sleep.
6. Quiet.
7. Afternoon drinking without judgement.
8. Unconventional means of exercise.
9. Warmth (i really really really love the sun, and summer, the beach, ocean, islands, etc....)
After looking at my list I realized how hard it would be to create a "happy place" or even a "happy moment" if I keep as busy as I am. Re-prioritizing and learning to say NO just may be my first steps towards creating my every day happy place.
So, just as life is a journey, not a destination, perhaps our "happy place" too requires a series of steps on a journey towards it.... unless I win the lottery, in which case you will find me at my "happy place" during "happy hour" at the pool bar every other month.
No comments:
Post a Comment